How to Delete Duplicate Photos on iPhone - Before and After iOS 16
This post aims to save you from annoying duplicate photos occupying your iPhone storage. Find out the how-to guide below!
It's necessary to delete duplicate photos from iPhone since it can help you clear iPhone storage and make your iPhone more tidy.
For a small number of duplicate photos, you can delete them manually. For a large number of duplicate photos, you may have to look for a time-saving and effort-saving way.
For iOS 16 and later, make use of the new Duplicates feature. For iOS 16 earlier, get a duplicate photos finder assistant.
The procedures to find and delete duplicate photos on Mac are similar.
Let's check the step-by-step guide on how to delete duplicate photos on iPhone below!
How to Find Duplicate Photos on iPhone
- For iOS 16 and later, there is a convenient way for iPhone users to find duplicate photos. iOS 16 and later introduced the Duplicates feature.
Here is how to find duplicate photos on iPhone using the Duplicates feature:
- Open the Photos app.
- Click Albums＞Scroll down and click Duplicates under Utilities.
- Click the three dots at the top right.
- Click Filter＞Check Photos.
- For iOS 16 earlier, there is no Duplicate feature. You can find the duplicate photos via the search tool, or update your iOS version to iOS 16 and later then follow the same steps as above.
Here is how to find duplicate photos on iPhone using the search tool:
- Open the Photos app.
- Click Search at the bottom.
- Search the photos in different types, for example, Photos, People, Places, Text, etc.
Here is how to update your iOS:
Go to Settings＞General＞Software Update＞Update Now.
- To find duplicate photos on your iPhone, a smart skill is to view the photos in chronological order as some duplicate photos may be generated on the same day.
- There are also some duplicate photos generated under the burst mode. Go to Photos ＞Albums＞Bursts to find the duplicate photos.
Why Is Duplicates Album Not Showing on iPhone
The duplicate photos feature is only available for iOS 16 and later. Check your iOS version: Settings＞General＞About.
There would be no Duplicate album if there are no duplicate photos on your iPhone although you are running iOS 16 and later.
- To rule out the issue of the iPhone Duplicates album, you can duplicate a photo in your Photos app and see if the Duplicate album appears now.
- For the Duplicates album to appear, iPhone has to index your photo library and look for duplicates.
How to Delete Duplicate Photos on iPhone
As you already found the duplicate photos, now you can delete duplicate photos from iPhone.
- For iOS 16 and later, there is a "Merge" feature that allows you to keep one version of the duplicates that combines relevant data, and move the rest to Recently Deleted.
After you find the duplicate photos using the above method, you can select the photos you want to merge or click Select All to merge all the duplicate photos.
- For iOS 16 earlier, after you find the duplicate photos, select all the copies that you don't need and leave the original one under each search category.
- In addition, you can also find and delete duplicate photos on iPhone via iPhone duplicate photo finders. Or you can transfer your photos to your Mac, then find and delete duplicate photos using a Mac duplicate photos finder.
- To delete duplicate photos from iCloud or Google Photos, a quicker way is to use your Mac.
In this post, how to find and delete duplicate photos on iPhone is introduced in detail.
Go and remove duplicate photos from iPhone to tidy up your iPhone now!
In addition, to delete duplicate/similar photos on Mac quickly, you can have a try at BuhoCleaner. It shows you clear numbers of duplicates and offers you the "Auto Select" feature to remove all duplicates but keep one.
Clare Weaver has been captivated by the world of Apple products since the launch of iconic iPhone in 2007. With a wealth of experience, Clare is your go-to source for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and all things Apple.