[Full Guide] How to Install iPadOS 17 Beta
Want to be the first one to experience iPadOS 17? Read on to learn how to install the iPadOS 17 beta.
Apple announced iPadOS 17 at WWDC on June 5, 2023. Like previous major releases, iPadOS 17 introduces a range of new features and improvements. If you're eager to try out these new additions, follow the instructions below to install the iPadOS 17 beta on your iPad.
Which iPads Are Compatible with iPadOS 17?
Before proceeding with the installation, ensure that your iPad is compatible with the new iPadOS. The following iPad models are supported:
- iPad Pro (2nd generation and later)
- iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
- iPad (6th generation and later)
- iPad mini (5th generation and later)
How Much Space Does iPadOS 17 Take Up?
Now that you've confirmed that your iPad is supported, let's see how much space you should reserve to successfully install iPadOS 17.
The size of the iPadOS 17 update may vary depending on your device and installation method. Generally, iPadOS update files range from 3GB to 6GB. Additionally, the installation process may require extra storage space to store temporary files. So make sure you have at least 15GB of free space on your device.
How to Install iPadOS 17 Beta
Since iPadOS 16.4, Apple has made changes to the beta software installation process. To install the latest iPadOS, the iPadOS 17 beta, first check which iPadOS you're using by tapping Settings > General > About.
If Your iPad Is Running iPadOS 16.4 or Later
- Visit https://developer.apple.com/programs/ on your iPad.
- Sign in to the Apple Developer Program using the same Apple ID you use on your iPad.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Beta Updates.
- Select iPadOS 17 Developer Beta and tap Back.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the iPadOS 17 beta.
If Your iPad Is Running iPadOS 16.3 or Earlier
- Update your device to iPadOS 16.4 or later.
- If you don't find an appropriate update on the Software Update screen, download and install the iPadOS 16 beta profile from here.
- After updating to iPadOS 16.4 or a later version, follow the instructions for iOS 16.4 or later to install the iPadOS 17 beta.
Now you have come to the end of this guide. Are you ready to update your iPadOS?
As for whether to upgrade to iPadOS 17 beta, it depends on your needs. However, it is recommended to back up your device to iCloud or your computer before upgrading. This ensures that you won't lose any data in case the upgrade process encounters any issues.
Living in New Jersey, Peter Aaron is an Apple technician focused on iPhone and iOS repairs. Meanwhile, he's also a senior writer at Dr.Buho, with a simple mission to help fix Apple things that are with software or hardware glitches.