How to Convert NTFS to exFAT on Mac or Windows 10/11 PC
In some cases, you may want to convert an NTFS drive to exFAT format. For instance, the NTFS hard drive is read-only on Mac and you can’t copy or write files to NTFS drives from Mac without using a third-party Mac NTFS tool. In this case, you may want to convert NTFS to exFAT. The exFAT format is supported by both Mac and Windows systems.
Before Converting NTFS to exFAT on Mac
Before you check the guide to convert NTFS to exFAT, you have a better way to read, copy, and write to NTFS drives on Mac. You can use a professional NTFS for Mac software program.
You can download and install BuhoNTFS from its official website and launch it. Select the target NTFS drive and turn on the "Allow Read & Write permission" option. Then you can click Open to freely read and write data on the NTFS drive from your Mac.
How to Convert NTFS to exFAT on Mac - 2 Ways
If you want to convert NTFS to exFAT, you can check the two ways below.
Way 1. Use a Partition Manager for Mac
You may find some professional Mac disk partition managers online and choose a tool to change the NTFS drive to exFAT format. Some possible tools are listed below for your reference.
- Partition Magic Mac
- Disk Drill for Mac
Way 2. Format the NTFS Drive to exFAT with Disk Utility
If the disk managers can’t convert NTFS to exFAT without data loss, you may need to format the NTFS drive to exFAT. You can easily do the task with Mac Disk Utility. You should back up all data on the NTFS drive to another device to avoid data loss.
- Connect the external NTFS drive to your Mac.
- Open Spotlight Search on Mac.
- Search for Disk Utility to open it.
- Select the target NTFS drive from the left panel. Click Erase at the top.
- Choose a name, file system (exFAT), and scheme.
- Click Erase to wipe the disk and reformat to exFAT format.
How to Convert NTFS to exFAT on Windows 10/11 - 2 Ways
To turn an NTFS drive to exFAT format on Windows 10/11, you can either use a third-party disk partition manager or reformat the NTFS drive to exFAT.
Way 1. Use a Disk Manager for Windows
There are some third-party disk partition managers for Windows that can help you easily convert NTFS to exFAT without losing data, without formatting. Some tools are listed below for your reference.
- EaseUS Partition Master
- AOMEI NTFS to FAT32 Converter
Way 2. Format NTFS to exFAT
Another way to change NTFS to exFAT is to format the disk to exFAT with Disk Management on Windows. Check the steps below.
- Connect the NTFS drive to your Windows computer.
- Press Windows + R, type “diskmgmt.msc” in Run, and press Enter to open Disk Management on Windows.
- Right-click the NTFS partition and select Format.
- Type a volume label. Click the drop-down icon to select exFAT as the target file system.
- Click OK to perform a quick format to change the NTFS drive to exFAT format.
This post offers some possible solutions to help you convert NTFS to exFAT on Mac or Windows 10/11 PC. An easy-to-use NTFS for Mac application is also provided to help you read and write NTFS drives on Mac without trouble.