2 Ways to Find and Remove Duplicate Files in Google Drive
This post is a full guide on how to find and remove duplicate files in Google Drive more easily and quickly. Keep reading!
Google Drive is a personal cloud storage and file-sharing platform. Many users use it to back up or encrypt files, photos, etc.
It's convenient but has a 15 GB free storage limit. So, it's necessary to find duplicate files in Google Drive and delete them as they take up much treasure space.
In this post, you'll learn how to find and remove duplicate files in Google Drive in different ways. Keep reading for details!
Does Google Drive Detect Duplicate Files?
The answer is yes. When you upload duplicate files, there will be a popup message warning that XXX already exists in this location. And it will offer you two options: Replace existing file or Keep both files.
However, it's worth noting that it can only identify duplicates through file format and name rather than content.
Why Find and Remove Duplicate Files in Google Drive?
- Duplicate files take up a lot of space in your Google Drive.
- 15 GB free storage limit.
- Tidy up your Google Drive so that you can find needed files, photos, etc. quicker.
How to Find Duplicate Files in Google Drive Quickly
An effort and time-saving way to find duplicate files in Google Drive and delete them is to use a duplicate files finder.
BuhoCleaner is one of the best duplicate file finders for Google Drive. It helps you find duplicates easier, quicker, and more precise.
Here is how to use BuhoCleaner to find and delete duplicate photos in Google Drive:
- Download Drive for Desktop.
- Free download, install, and launch BuhoCleaner.
- Click Duplicates in the left sidebar＞the + button＞Choose Custom Folder＞Google Drive＞My Drive＞OK＞Scan.
- Click Auto Select/select Smart Select.
- Click Remove.
- Go back to your Google Drive online and empty trash.
Auto Select enables you to select the items you want to remove manually. Smart Select will automatically select all duplicates but keep the original one, which is convenient and time-saving.
Besides deleting duplicate files in Google Drive, deleting duplicates on Mac is also available at BuhoCleaner.
How to Find and Remove Duplicates from Google Drive Manually
In the case that you have only a few duplicates, you may want to remove duplicates from Google Drive manually.
Although finding and removing duplicate files in Google Drive is time-consuming and effort-costing, there are some helpful skills:
Here is how to find duplicate files in Google Drive and remove them manually:
- Open Google Drive online＞sign in with your Google Drive account.
- Click My Drive in the left sidebar＞click the List layout icon.
- Search for the files/photos' names with (1), (2) at the end, or "Copy of" at the beginning.
- Right-click the file/photo you want to delete＞Move to trash. (Press and hold the Command key ＞check the file unneeded in order to select and remove multiple files at the same time.)
- Empty trash.
After you upload two same photos or files, etc., Google Drive is likely to name the latter one with (1), (2)..., etc.
If you made a copy in Google Drive before, the name rule of Google Drive is to add "Copy of" at the beginning of your files/photos' name. This makes finding and removing duplicate photos, files, etc. in Google Drive manually easier and quicker.
After finishing reading this post, go find and remove duplicate files in Google Drive now!
Clare Weaver has been captivated by the world of Apple products since the launch of iconic iPhone in 2007. With a wealth of experience, Clare is your go-to source for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and all things Apple.