iOS 17 AirDrop Not Working? - 11 Fast Fixes
This post is about the possible reasons for iOS 17 AirDrop not working and its fast yet overall fixes. Read on to learn more useful information!
AirDrop makes photos, videos, websites, and location sharing between two iPhones or iPhone and Mac more convenient than ever.
iOS 17 brings users many new features, you can now swap numbers with NameDrop and hold two iPhone devices close together to instantly start a SharePlay session.
However, there are still some AirDrop-related issues like AirDrop not working on iOS 17/16, AirDrop being stuck on "waiting", etc. annoying Apple users.
But don't worry. In this post, you'll get 11 useful methods to fix AirDrop not working on iPhone/iPad/Mac/MacBook.
Why Is My AirDrop Not Working on iOS 17?
The common reasons why AirDrop isn't working on iOS 17/iOS 16 collected from Apple users are listed below. Check whether your iPhone is in the same situation.
- You share to an Apple device that doesn't support AirDrop (Older Apple device/Not Apple Device).
- Wrong AirDrop Settings.
- Wi-Fi/Bluetooth is turned off.
- The distance between the two devices is far more than 30 feet (9 meters).
- Your iPhone runs out of power.
- You have enabled Airplane Mode/Focus Mode.
- You have enabled the hotspot.
- VPN issues.
- Corrupted network.
- iOS 17 Beta issues.
Check AirDrop Compatibility
AirDrop is not available in all iPhone/iPad/macOS models. So if you are using older iPhone/iPad/macOS models, there may be no AirDrop feature. And here are the Apple device models that support AirDrop:
- iOS 7 and later
- iPadOS 14 and later
- macOS X 10.10 and later
How to Fix iOS 17 AirDrop Not Working
After figuring out the possible reasons and checking the Airdrop compatibility, let's learn some proven solutions to fix this issue!
Select/Change AirDrop Discoverability to Everyone
The first try recommended is to select or change AirDrop discoverability to Everyone. By doing this, the recipient can find and recognize your iPhone better. Here is how to set AirDrop discoverability to Everyone on iPhone/iPad:
- via Control Center Swipe up/down to access Control Center＞Tap and hold AirDrop＞Click Everyone for 10 Minutes.
- via Settings
Open Settings＞General＞ AirDrop＞Everyone for 10 Minutes.
Here is how to set AirDrop discoverability to Everyone on Mac:
- via Control Center
Click the Control Center icon on the Menu Bar＞Click AirDrop ＞Click Everyone.
- via System Settings Go to Apple Menu＞System Settings＞General＞AirDrop & Handoff＞Select Everyone.
Turn on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
A successful transfer via AirDrop requires both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to be turned on. So go to Settings or Control Center to check and turn on them.
Move the Devices Closer
Although Airdrop allows you to transfer photos, videos, etc. wirelessly, it is for nearby devices. Apple suggests that the distance between the two devices is within 30 feet (9 meters).
Restart Your iPhone
It is also recommended to give your iPhone/iPad/Mac a restart. There may be some occasional errors. Rebooting your iPhone/iPad/Mac may fix these errors.
Avoid Locking Your iPhone
Another reason for AirDrop not working on iOS 17/16 or "AirDrop stuck on waiting" is that you or the recipient or both of you didn't unlock the iPhone.
In this case, you'd better unlock your iPhone to complete this transfer process.
Turn Off Airplane Mode and Focus Mode
Airplane Mode and Focus Mode will get in the way of the AirDrop transfer. As we all know, Airplane Mode will disconnect Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, which are the necessities of an AirDrop transfer.
Turn Off Personal Hotspot
Turning on the personal hotspot means that you aren't enabled Wi-Fi. So you can't use the AirDrop feature. Disable personal hotspot and turn on Wi-Fi to see whether this fixes the AirDrop not working issue on iOS 17/16.
Remove AirDrop Restrictions
In some rare cases, you may find that AirDrop is not showing up or is grey on your iPhone. This is because you have disabled AirDrop in the Content & Privacy Restrictions. Go check and remove the restrictions on iPhone/iPad.
Here is how: Go to Settings＞Screen Time＞Content & Privacy Restrictions＞choose Allowed Apps＞AirDrop.
Update Your iPhone
Many users reported iOS system glitches in older iOS versions and iOS Beta versions. The iOS 17 Beta AirDrop not working is one of the common iOS 17 Beta issues.
To get out of this problem, all you need to do is update your iPhone. Update your iOS 17 Beta to the latest iOS 17 version.
Besides the iOS upgrade/downgrade, it also provides you with features like common iOS software issues repair, enter/exit Recovery mode in 1 click, and device reset. Explore more surprising features of it!
Reset Network Settings
If AirDrop takes too long to transfer, you can change to another Wi-Fi in better conditions or consider resetting network settings. Reset network settings can rule out the network problem. But note that it will erase all your network settings, including your Wi-Fi password. So remember to write down your password first.
Here is how to reset network Settings:
Open Settings＞General＞Transfer or Reset iPhone＞Reset Network Settings.
Contact Apple Support
If none of the above methods work to bring your AirDrop back to normal, ask Apple Support for help.
Besides what is mentioned above, there are still some other methods that are worth a try, for example, add the sender's Email/Apple ID to his/her contact information on the recipient's iPhone, log back into your Apple Account, disconnect VPN, check and charge your iPhone, etc.
In this post, 11 fixes for iOS 17 AirDrop not working are presented to you.
Pick one or more of these fixes and go ahead to make your AirDrop work normally again.
How to use NameDrop on iOS 17?
The NameDrop feature on iOS 17 makes it easier for users to exchange their personal information. To use NameDrop: (Make sure both your iPhones are updating to iOS 17 and enabled AirDrop.)
- Turn on the Bluetooth.
- Hold your iPhone near each other (top to top).
- An animation and contact poster will appear with two options below: Receive Only or Share. Just tap the one you want.
- Wait for the process to finish. Once finished, tap Done to save the contact.
What's new for iOS 17 AirDrop?
- Introduce NameDrop to make users share contact information simply by bringing iPhones or an iPhone and Apple Watch closer.
- Content and SharePlay sharing can be made with the same gesture.
- Although you leave the AirDrop range, your content will continue to be sent securely over the internet.
How to fix iOS 17 NameDrop not working?
- Upgrade/update both iPhones to iOS 17.
- Turn on Bluetooth.
- Restart iPhone.
- Move your iPhones closer.
- Light your iPhone screen.
- Make sure you have finished your Contact Card with the Contact Poster, phone number, and email address.
- Check the NameDrop Settings: go to Settings＞General＞AirDrop＞Bring Devices Together.
- Reset Network Settings.
How to exchange contacts iOS 17 using NameDrop?
- Turn on the Bluetooth.
- Hold the top of your iPhone near the top of someone else’s iPhone to exchange your contacts on iOS 17.
- Choose Receive Only or Share.
Clare Weaver has been captivated by the world of Apple products since the launch of iconic iPhone in 2007. With a wealth of experience, Clare is your go-to source for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and all things Apple.