List of macOS Versions Until 2023 | What Is the Latest Mac OS?
What is the latest Mac OS? This post gives a full list of macOS versions until 2023 in time order. The latest macOS version is macOS Sonoma which was released on September 26, 2023. You can check the details below. Also, learn how to find out which macOS your Mac is using and how to get old versions of macOS below.
Full List of macOS Versions in Time Order
Below is the full list of macOS versions until 2023. It displays in a time-descending order.
- macOS 14 (Sonoma): September 26, 2023.
- macOS 13 (Ventura): October 24, 2022.
- macOS 12 (Monterey): October 25, 2021.
- macOS 11 (Big Sur): November 12, 2020.
- macOS 10.15 (Catalina): October 7, 2019.
- macOS 10.14 (Mojave): September 24, 2018.
- macOS 10.13 (High Sierra): September 25, 2017.
- macOS 10.12 (Sierra): September 20, 2016.
- Mac OS X 10.11 (EI Capitan): September 30, 2015.
- Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite): October 16, 2014.
- Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks): October 22, 2013.
- Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion): July 25, 2012.
- Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion): July 20, 2011.
- Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard): August 28, 2009.
- Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard): October 26, 2007.
- Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger): April 29, 2005.
- Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther): October 24, 2003.
- Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar): August 24, 2002.
- Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma): September 25, 2001.
- Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah): March 24, 2001.
What Is the Latest Mac OS?
From the list of macOS versions above, you can see macOS Sonoma is the latest Mac OS. macOS Sonoma (macOS 14) was released on September 26, 2023.
You can go to Apple > System Settings > General > Software Update on your Mac. Click Upgrade Now to download and install macOS Sonoma if it shows available.
How to Check Your macOS Version
To find out which macOS your Mac is using, you can click the Apple menu and select About This Mac. In the pop-up window, you can see your macOS version, Mac model, chip, memory, startup disk, serial number, etc.
How to Update to the Latest Mac OS Version
To update your Mac to the latest version of macOS, you can click Apple > System Settings > General > Software Update. Let your Mac automatically check for newer updates. Click Upgrade Now or Update Now to install the latest Mac OS on your Mac.
How to Get Old Versions of macOS
- If you want to download old versions of macOS, you can open App Store on your Mac and search for your preferred Mac OS version in the App Store.
- On the target macOS version page, tap the Get button to download the installation file.
- Run the macOS installer and follow the instructions to downgrade your macOS to an older version like downgrading macOS Sonoma to Ventura.
This post provides a full list of Mac OS versions until 2023 in time order. The latest macOS version is macOS Sonoma (macOS 14) which was released on September 26, 2023. Instructions for how to upgrade to macOS Sonoma, how to check your macOS version, and how to get old versions of macOS are also included. Hope it helps.