How to Download and Install macOS Sonoma Beta – 2 Ways
The official version of macOS Sonoma (macOS 14) was released on September 26, 2023, and is available to download for free now. If you still want to download and install the macOS Sonoma Beta version on your Mac, you may try the 2 ways below.
Install macOS Sonoma Beta Via InstallAssistant.pkg
You can directly download the macOS Sonoma Beta installer file (InstallAssistant.pkg) to install macOS 14 Beta on your Mac.
- You can download the full installer file of macOS Sonoma Beta by entering this link in your browser: https://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/14/54/042-41491-A_WCZEM7L2US/b5eeeylcnmf82ycto51pvy0klcyzd02on8/InstallAssistant.pkg. Press Enter and it will immediately download the InstallAssistant.pkg file to your Mac computer.
- Wait for the download process to complete. It may take some time since the size of the installer file is about 13GB.
- After downloading, you can click the InstallAssistant.pkg file and it will locate the installer in the Applications folder.
- Double-click Install macOS 14 beta to run the installer file.
- Click Continue and click Agree to agree to the terms of the software license agreement.
- Select the partition that you want to install macOS Sonoma. If you have created a new partition on your Mac and want to install the new OS on it, you can click Show All Disks under your startup volume and select the target partition.
- Follow the instructions to install macOS Sonoma Beta on your Mac.
Install macOS Sonoma Beta via Software Update
You may download and install macOS Sonoma Beta from the Software Update screen on your Mac. Check the step-by-step guide below.
- First, check your Mac for macOS Sonoma compatibility. You can click Apple > About This Mac to check your Mac’s model and macOS version.
- Click Apple > System Settings > General > Software Update.
- Then click “i” next to Beta Updates. Choose macOS Sonoma Developer Beta.
- Click Sign in with Apple ID to sign in to the Apple Beta Software Program to receive beta updates on your Mac. Click Done to save the settings.
- Return to the Software Update screen. If you see macOS Sonoma is available for your Mac, you can click Upgrade Now to upgrade to macOS Sonoma.
If you plan to install a beta version of macOS 14 on your Mac, it’s highly advised you back up your Mac before you continue.
Free Up Space on Mac before Installing macOS Sonoma
The installer file of macOS 14 is large. You should make sure your Mac has enough free space for the new Mac OS. To free up space on your Mac, you can use BuhoCleaner.
BuhoCleaner lets you easily scan and remove junk data on your Mac. It also lets you completely uninstall apps without leftovers, find and delete large and duplicate files, analyze disk space, free up RAM, manage startup items, monitor system resources, etc. on your Mac.