How to Update Apps on Mac (Sonoma/Ventura) – 5 Ways
1. Use the App Store to Update Apps on Mac
App Store keeps track of updates for apps you downloaded or purchased from the App Store. The most common way to update apps on your Mac is to use the App Store. Check the steps below.
- Click the App Store icon in the Dock to open the Mac App Store.
- Click Updates in the left panel.
- In the right window, you will see all the apps that have newer updates.
- Click the Update button next to the target application to update it. To update all apps on your Mac, you can click the Update All icon.
How to Turn on Automatic Updates in the App Store
- Open the App Store on your Mac.
- Click App Store in the menu bar and select Settings.
- Turn on the “Automatic Updates” option. After that, the App Store will download and install app updates automatically for your Mac.
2. How to Update Apps on Mac with Terminal
To update apps on a Mac without the App Store, you can use Terminal. Check the detailed guide below.
- Open Terminal on Mac via Spotlight Search.
- Type the command
sudo softwareupdate -i [app name]. Enter the exact app name in the command line.
- Press Enter to update the application with Terminal.
3. How to Update Apps That Are Not Downloaded from App Store
If the app was downloaded from the web but not from the App Store, its updates will not display in the App Store. You can use one of the ways below to manually update the app on Mac.
- Open the app on your Mac. Most apps will notify you if it has a newer update available, if so, click Update Now to update it.
- Alternatively, after you launch the app, you can click the app’s name in the menu bar and select Check for Updates. For Google Chrome, you can click Chrome in the menu bar and choose About Google Chrome to update Chrome on your Mac.
- For some apps, you may also find a built-in “Check for Updates” option inside the app. You may find the update check option in the app settings pane.
4. How to Update Mac Built-in Apps with macOS Update
For some preinstalled apps in macOS, their updates may be delivered via Software Update or come bundled with macOS system updates. To update these apps on your Mac, you can follow the steps below.
- Click Apple > System Settings > General > Software Update. Let your Mac automatically check for updates.
- After checking, if you see some updates available, you can click the Update Now button to install the app updates.
5. Update All Apps on Mac with Third-party Mac App Updaters
To update apps on your Mac, you can also try some professional Mac app updaters. These tools help you automatically track the latest updates of all applications installed on your Mac. Below are some tools you can try.
- CleanMyMac X
This post offers 5 ways to help you update applications on macOS Sonoma/Ventura. Hope it helps. If want to completely uninstall an app from your Mac, you can try BuhoCleaner.