4 Ways to Unlock iPhone "Security Lockout" Screen 2023
Basically, when your iPhone is locked, you need to enter the correct passcode to unlock it. However, if you enter the wrong passcode multiple times in a row, your iPhone will activate the Security Lockout screen with a countdown timer. The more times you enter the wrong passcode, the longer the waiting time will be.
If you can recall your screen passcode, it is advisable to wait for the designated time to pass. However, if you have forgotten your iPhone screen passcode, you may be wondering how to bypass the Security Lockout screen.
We're here to help you out. Let's dive in.
What Does Security Lockout Mean on iPhone?
Security Lockout is a new feature introduced by Apple in iOS 15.2, designed to protect your iPhone from unauthorized access. When your iPhone displays the Security Lockout message, it means that you have entered the wrong passcode multiple times in a row. In this case, you need to reset or erase your iPhone to exit the Security Lockout mode.
How to Unlock Your iPhone with the Security Lockout Screen
The Security Lockout screen includes an Erase iPhone option, which allows you to erase your iPhone without using a computer. To use this option to unlock your iPhone, make sure the following conditions are met.
- Your iPhone is running iOS 15.2 or later.
- Your iPhone is connected to a cellular or Wi-Fi network.
- You know your Apple ID and password.
Here’s how to unlock your iPhone:
- Tap Erase iPhone at the bottom of the Security Lockout screen.
- Tap Erase iPhone again to confirm your action.
- When prompted, enter your Apple ID password to sign out of your Apple ID.
- Tap Erase iPhone to permanently delete all content and settings from your iPhone.
- Once the process is complete, set up your iPhone and restore your data via iCloud, iTunes, or other backup methods.
How to Unlock Security Lockout on iPhone via iCloud
If you don't see the Erase iPhone button, or the Erase iPhone button is unavailable, you can unlock your iPhone using iCloud. Here’s what you need to do.
Open Safari and visit icloud.com.
Enter your Apple ID and password.
Follow the onscreen instructions to authenticate again.
Tap Find iPhone, and then tap All Devices.
Select the iPhone you want to reset and tap Erase iPhone.
Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your Apple ID password and all data on your iPhone will be deleted.
How to Unlock Security Lockout on iPhone via BuhoUnlocker
Another way to unlock a disabled iPhone is to use BuhoUnlocker, an iOS unlocking tool that unlocks your screen passcode in just a few clicks.
Here's how to unlock your iPhone with BuhoUnlocker:
- Download and install BuhoUnlocker on your computer (PC or Mac).
- Launch it and click Unlock Screen Passcode > Start.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable and put it into recovery mode.
- Download the firmware for your iPhone, click Start Unlock, and wait for the unlocking process to complete.
- When you see the hello screen on your iPhone, set up your iPhone.
How to Unlock Security Lockout on iPhone via Finder/iTunes
If you want to manually unlock your iPhone with a computer, use Finder or iTunes.
- For Macs running macOS Catalina and later, use Finder.
- For Macs running macOS Mojave, use iTunes.
- For Windows PCs, use iTunes.
The steps are roughly the same for Finder and iTunes. Here’s how:
Turn off your iPhone.
Connect your iPhone to your computer via a cable, then press the corresponding button to put your iPhone into recovery mode.
- iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X and successors, iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation): Use the Side button.
- Phone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus: Use the Volume Down button.
- Phone SE (1st generation), iPhone 6s, and earlier models: Use the Home button.
Continue to hold the button until the Recovery Mode screen appears on your iPhone.
Open Finder or iTunes on your computer and locate your iPhone.
You will see Restore and Update options. Select the Restore option. Then, the computer will automatically begin downloading the software for iPhone and start the recovery process. (The download process takes about 15 minutes.)
Once the recovery process is complete, unplug the cable from the computer and reset your iPhone.
Hopefully, you have successfully unlocked your iPhone through one of the methods above. Keep in mind that these methods will erase all data on your iPhone. It is recommended that you back up your iPhone regularly to avoid unnecessary data loss.
A creative editor from Dr. Buho, who has been consistently writing high-quality Mac and iPhone issue-related guides for over 3 years.