4 Ways to Unlock iPhone if You Forgot iPhone Passcode
It is always recommended that you set a passcode for your iPhone to protect your personal data from prying eyes. However, if you haven't used your iPhone for a long time, you may forget its screen passcode. So, what to do if you forgot your iPhone passcode?
Don't panic. In this article, we will show you 4 ways to unlock your iPhone when you forgot the passcode. Hope one of them can help you regain access to your iPhone.
What Happens if You Forgot Your iPhone Passcode
You cannot access your iPhone until you enter the correct passcode. If you enter the wrong passcode too many times, your iPhone will be disabled or unavailable. The more wrong attempts, the longer you wait. Depending on your version of iOS, you may see the following screen. After 10 failed passcode attempts, you can no longer unlock your iPhone even if you remember the correct passcode.
What to Do if You Forgot iPhone Passcode
If you forgot your iPhone passcode, then follow the steps below to unlock your iPhone.
Unlock iPhone via "Erase iPhone" (Without Computer)
Security Lockout is a new feature introduced by Apple in iOS 15.2. It allows you to unlock your iPhone without computer and iTunes. Once you have entered the wrong passcode more than 7 times, your iPhone will display the Security Lockout screen with an Erase iPhone option at the bottom right corner of the screen.
What you need to do is use the Erase iPhone option to reset your iPhone. Here's how:
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to a cellular or Wi-Fi network.
- Tap Erase iPhone and tap Erase iPhone again to confirm your operation.
- Enter your Apple ID password to log out of your Apple ID.
- Tap Erase iPhone to permanently delete all content and settings on your iPhone.
- Set up your iPhone.
Unlock iPhone via iCloud (Without Computer)
If you don't see the Security Lock screen, or if your iPhone is running iOS 15.1 or earlier, iCloud may be your best option for unlocking your iPhone.
- Go to iCloud.com/find.
- Sign in to your iCloud.
- At the top, click All Devices, then select the iPhone you want to unlock.
- Click the Erase iPhone button, and enter your Apple ID password to turn off Find My.
- Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to erase your iPhone.
- After the reset process is complete, set up your iPhone.
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to the network and Find My is turned on.
- You can also use the Find My app on another iPhone to remotely erase your iPhone.
Unlock iPhone via iTunes/Finder
Another way to unlock your iPhone is using iTunes or Finder. Because your iPhone is locked, iTunes and Finder don't recognize your device. Therefore, you have to put your iPhone into Recovery mode before you can unlock it on your computer.
Here's what you should do:
Connect your iPhone to your PC or Mac.
Do the following to put your iPhone into recovery mode:
- iPhone 8 and later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button, then the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Side button until the recovery mode screen appears.
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side button and Volume Down button until the recovery mode screen appears.
- On iPhone 6s and earlier: Press and hold the Side button and Home button until the recovery mode screen appears.
If your iPhone has successfully entered Recovery mode, you will see one of the following screens:
Open Finder on Mac or iTunes on PC, and follow the prompts to restore your iPhone.
When the restoring process is complete, set your iPhone.
Unlock iPhone via iPhone Unlock Tool
As you can see, the 3 methods mentioned above require you to do it manually. If you find it troublesome, let a third-party iPhone unlocker remove the forgotten passcode for you.
BuhoUnlocker is one of the best iOS unlocking software. It can help you unlock screen passcode, remove screen time passcode, remove Apple ID, and get rid of MDM files. Let's take it as an example to see how to unlock your iPhone without passcode.
- Download and install BuhoUnlocker on your computer (Mac or PC).
- Launch it and click Unlock Screen Passcode > Start.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable and put it into recovery mode.
- Download the latest firmware for your device, click Start Unlock, and wait for the unlocking process to complete.
- When you see the hello screen on your iPhone, set up your iPhone.
Besides iPhone unlocker, BuhoUnlocker also provides you with an MDM removal feature. This function makes your iPhone free from mobile device management. Just try and explore more surprising features in BuhoUnlocker.
Now that you know how to unlock your iPhone if you forgot your passcode, go ahead and choose the method that works best for you to regain access to your iPhone.
Note that all of the above methods will wipe your iPhone. If you've never backed up your iPhone, do so before performing the reset steps.
Will I Lose Everything if I Reset My iPhone?
Resetting your iPhone will delete all your settings and content such as photos, contacts, apps, and more. So, before you proceed to reset your iPhone, back up it first.
Can I Unlock My iPhone Without a Computer?
Yes. You can either use Security Lockout or iCloud to unlock your iPhone. No PC or Mac is needed.
Can I Unlock My iPhone Without Resetting It?
Unfortunately, the answer is NO. Apple locks your iPhone to prevent it from being forcibly reset and activated by someone else if it is lost or stolen. If you don't know the correct iPhone passcode, to unlock your iPhone you must reset it. Resetting will erase all data on your iPhone. Back up your iPhone first, if you can.
Can I Unlock Someone Else’s iPhone?
NO. Under no circumstances do we recommend that you unlock someone else's iPhone.
How to Avoid Forgetting My iPhone Passcode?
The best way to avoid forgetting your iPhone passcode is to set up a Face ID or Touch ID. Also, it's a good idea to write down your iPhone passcodes and keep them in a safe place so you can easily find them.