9 Things You Need to Know about iOS 17
In this guide, you will learn everything about the new iOS 17, including its features, release date, supported devices, size, and how to download and install the beta.
Apple announced iOS 17 at WWDC on June 5, 2023. Like every major release in previous years, the new iOS adds new features, makes improvements, and fixes some bugs. You might be wondering if you should upgrade your iOS, then you better not miss this blog post where you will find everything you need to know about the new iOS.
Let's dive right in.
What's New in iOS 17?
What's new in iOS 17 is what you care about most. Below is a list of the biggest features:
- Contact Poster: You can customize your contact poster to personalize your phone calls.
- Live Voicemail: When someone calls you and leaves a message, you'll see a live transcript of that message.
- iMessage Stickers: A new stickers drawer brings all your stickers in one place, and your stickers sync with iCloud so you can access them whether you're using an iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
- Live Stickers: Now you can use your own photos to create live stickers on demand.
- Siri Activation: Say "Siri" instead of "Hey, Siri."
- FaceTime Messages: You can record a video or audio message when someone misses your FaceTime call.
- Standby Mode: When you turn your iPhone on its side while charging, your iPhone lock screen will display more useful information, such as a large clock, photo gallery, or interactive widgets.
When Will iOS 17 Be Released?
The first developer beta of iOS 17 was released on June 5, 2023, followed by the first public beta on July 12, 2023. As of now, the latest beta version is iOS 17.0 beta 6, released on August 16, 2023.
According to Apple, iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 will be released on September 18, 2023.
What Are the Supported Devices for iOS 17?
iOS 17 no longer supports iPhone X, iPhone 8, and earlier models. Here's the list of supported iPhone models:
- iPhone 14
- iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone SE (2nd generation or later)
Is It Worth Upgrading to iOS 17?
It depends on your needs. Upgrading is worthwhile if you're an Apple enthusiast or if you want to test your apps on the new iOS. However, it's recommended that you install iOS 17 on a secondary iPhone rather than your primary one, as iOS 17 is still in beta, which means occasional bugs and issues may arise.
For most individuals, we advise waiting for the official release before considering an upgrade.
How Much Space Does iOS 17 Take Up?
iOS 17 beta is around 3 GB, but you will need some extra space to successfully install it. Keeping at least 5 GB of free space is ideal. If you don't have enough storage space, check out this article: How to Clear Storage on iPhone if Your iPhone Storage Is Full.
Hong Long Does the iOS 17 Update Take?
As you know, updates take some time. Depending on your internet speed, the entire process can take anywhere from 30 minutes to over an hour.
Since errors may occur during the update process, it is recommended that you back up your device in advance.
How to Download and Install iOS 17
iOS 17 is now available to the public, and you can choose to install it either automatically or manually.
Automatic Upgrade to iOS 17
- Navigate to Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates.
- Enable both Download iOS Updates and Install iOS Updates.
- When an update becomes available, your iPhone will download and install it while charging and connected to Wi-Fi.
Manual Upgrade to iOS 17
- Open Settings > General > Software Update.
- If an iOS 17 update is available, it will be displayed.
- Tap Download.
- After the download is complete, follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation process.
Related Article: How to Fix iPhone Stuck on Software Update
How to Remove iOS 17 Beta from Your iPhone
If you're not satisfied with the iOS 17 Beta, you can follow the steps below to revert to the latest publicly-released iOS version.
For devices running iOS 16.4 or later:
Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Beta Updates > Off.
For devices running iOS 16.3.1 or earlier:
- Go to Settings > General > VPN & Device Management.
- Tap the iOS 17 Beta Software Profile > Remove Profile.
Bonus: How to Quickly Downgrade from iOS 17 to iOS 16
New iOS versions often have bugs. Fortunately, you can take steps to downgrade to an earlier version. For a quick solution, try BuhoRepair. It's one of the best iOS system repair software, enabling you to fix common iOS issues and upgrade or downgrade your iOS hassle-free.
Here's how to use BuhoRepair to downgrade your iOS 17:
- Download, install, and launch BuhoRepair.
- Click on Upgrade/Downgrade iOS.
- Select Downgrade Version > Downgrade Now. (Make sure you've already backed up your iPhone.)
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the downgrade process.
The Bottom Line
Now you've reached the end of this post. Do you now have a better understanding of iOS 17? Are you ready to upgrade your iOS?
If you encounter issues or are dissatisfied with the new iOS, you might consider performing a downgrade using BuhoRepair.
One important thing to note is that unexpected errors might occur during the iOS upgrade or downgrade process. Therefore, it's a good idea to create a backup of your device beforehand.
Clare Weaver has been captivated by the world of Apple products since the launch of iconic iPhone in 2007. With a wealth of experience, Clare is your go-to source for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and all things Apple.