How to Uninstall macOS Sonoma Beta and Switch to Official/Ventura
Apple released macOS Sonoma's official version on September 26, 2023. The official version of macOS Sonoma is available to try now. If you want to uninstall macOS Sonoma beta from your Mac and install macOS Sonoma official or revert to macOS Ventura, you may follow the step-by-step guide below.
How to Uninstall macOS Sonoma Beta and Switch to Official Version
You have two ways to update from macOS Sonoma beta to official. One is to turn off the beta updates on your Mac, the other is to perform a clean install of the macOS Sonoma official version. Check the steps below.
1. Switch from macOS Sonoma Beta to Official via Software Update
- Click Apple > System Settings > General > Software Update.
- Click "i" next to Beta Updates.
- Select the Off option next to Beta Updates. Click Done to stop receiving beta updates on your Mac.
- Then you can wait for stable macOS updates. If you see the macOS Sonoma official version is available for your Mac, you can easily upgrade to Sonoma.
2. Remove macOS Sonoma Beta and Install the Official Version
- Back up all data on your Mac.
- Download the macOS Sonoma installer file.
- Create a bootable USB for macOS Sonoma with the installer file.
- Insert the bootable USB to your Mac. Select the bootable drive as the startup disk and start your Mac in Recovery Mode.
- In Recovery Mode, select Disk Utility and click Continue, select your Mac internal disk Macintosh HD, and click Erase to erase your Mac. This will also uninstall the macOS Sonoma beta.
- After that, go back to the Recovery screen, choose Reinstall macOS, and click Continue to install the macOS Sonoma official version on your Mac.
How to Uninstall macOS Sonoma Beta and Reinstall Ventura
Step 1. Back Up Data on Your Mac
Before you remove the macOS Sonoma beta from your Mac, you must back up all important data or back up the entire Mac to avoid data loss.
You can copy all important data to an external hard drive or USB, back up important data to iCloud or another cloud service, or use Time Machine to back up your Mac.
Step 2. Enter into macOS Recovery Mode
To uninstall macOS Sonoma beta and revert to Ventura, you need to boot your Mac into Recovery Mode.
For Intel-based Macs, press the Power button to start your Mac, and immediately press and hold the Command + R keys to enter into the macOS Recovery screen.
For Apple silicon Macs, press and hold the Power button until you see the startup options screen. Click Options and click Continue.
Step 3. Uninstall macOS 14 Beta with Disk Utility
After you are on the macOS Recovery screen, you may see that the reinstall macOS option is “Reinstall macOS 14 beta”. In this case, to downgrade macOS Sonoma to Ventura, you need to erase your Mac first.
Select Disk Utility and click Continue to launch the Disk Utility app.
In Disk Utility, select Macintosh HD from the left sidebar and click the Erase button on the toolbar. Enter a name for your Mac, select a format, and click Erase to erase your Mac. This will also remove macOS Sonoma beta from your Mac.
Step 4. Activate Your Mac
Your computer will restart. After it starts up, the Recovery Assistant will launch. Choose a Wi-Fi network to connect and activate your Mac. After that, click Exit to Recovery to get the macOS Recovery screen again.
Step 5. Reinstall macOS Ventura on Your Mac
Then you can select Reinstall macOS Ventura on the macOS Recovery screen and click Continue. Follow the instructions to download and install a fresh copy of macOS Ventura on your Mac.
Step 6 (Optional). Restore Data from a Time Machine Backup
After you uninstall macOS Sonoma beta and reinstall Ventura on your Mac, you may restore data from a Time Machine backup you have made beforehand.
Clean Your Mac with BuhoCleaner
If your Mac is running slow after a long-time usage, you may use BuhoCleaner to free up more space.
BuhoCleaner is a professional Mac cleaner program that lets you clean your Mac from many aspects. You can use it to scan and remove junk data, uninstall unused apps, delete large or duplicate files, analyze disk space, manage startup items, free up RAM, etc. on your Mac.
Download and install BuhoCleaner on your Mac and use it to speed up your Mac now.
This post provides a step-by-step guide on how to uninstall macOS Sonoma beta and switch to macOS Sonoma official or revert to macOS Ventura. To find more Mac/iPhone tips and tools, you may visit our official website https://www.drbuho.com/.