How to Uninstall Tor Browser on Mac and PC
Summary: In this guide, you'll find how to completely uninstall Tor Browser on Mac and PC.
Thanks to the Tor Browser's multiple layers of encryption, we are able to access the Internet anonymously. Sounds great, right? But that may not be the case. Just as every coin has two sides, the high privacy of Tor Browser comes at the sacrifice of speed. Most of the time, you may gradually lose patience while waiting for the website to load. Thus, you may want to remove it from your computer.
In this article, you will learn how to uninstall Tor Browser on Mac and PC. Let's get started.
What is Tor Browser?
Tor Browser, also known as Onion Browser, is a collection of tools designed for people who want to improve the security of the Internet. It allows you to browse the Web and chat with someone online anonymously. When you search on Tor Browser, your traffic will be relayed and encrypted three times, so third-party applications won't be able to know what you're doing or where you are. Because of its anonymous connection, Tor Browser is gaining more and more users worldwide.
However, compared with popular browsers like Chrome and Safari, Tor Browser is really slow. If you already have other ways to secure your network, you can follow the instructions below to uninstall it safely.
How to Remove Tor Browser from Mac
- Quit Tor Browser.
- Open Finder > Applications.
- Locate Tor Browser, right-click on its icon and choose Move to Trash.
- On the Finder window, press Shift + Command + G keys to open the Go to Folder window.
- Type in: ~/Library and press the Return key.
- Go over the sub folders below to find all files related to Tor Browser and move them to the Trash.
- ~/Library/Application Support/TorBrowser-Data
- ~/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.tor browser.plist
- ~/Library/Saved Application State/org.mozilla.tor browser.savedState
- ~/Library/Saved Application State/org.torproject.torbrowser.savedState
- Empty your Trash.
Alternatively, you can use BuhoCleaner to delete Tor Browser from your Mac within seconds. It is a free app remover as well as a cache cleaner for Mac. With the handy tool, you can uninstall all unwanted apps, remove leftovers of uninstalled apps, and free up Mac space in a few clicks.
- Download, install, and launch BuhoCleaner.
- Click the App Uninstall in the sidebar, and you will see all apps installed on your Mac.
- Find Tor Browser, check the box next to it and click the Remove button.
How to Uninstall Tor Browser on PC
It is easy to remove Tor Browser from your PC. The steps for different versions may be slightly different. Here, we just take Windows 10 as an example.
How to Uninstall Tor Browser on Windows 10
Tor Browser is installed on the desktop by default. To uninstall it, find the Tor Browser application and Tor Browser folder on the desktop and delete them.
If you happen to change the default installation address when installing Tor Browser, you will not be able to find the relevant folder on your desktop. In this case, you can follow these steps to remove it from your PC forever.
- Right-click the Tor Browser icon and select Open file location.
- Follow the instruction in the picture below.
- Delete all files in the Tor Browser folder.
That's all for how to uninstall Tor Browser on Mac and PC. Hope you can get rid of it without any hassle.
If you find this post helpful, don't forget to share it with your friends.
Clare Weaver has been captivated by the world of Apple products since the launch of iconic iPhone in 2007. With a wealth of experience, Clare is your go-to source for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and all things Apple.