2 Ways to Completely Uninstall Docker Desktop on Mac
Summary: We will walk you through how to completely uninstall Docker on Mac in 2 ways.
Docker is an open-source platform where you can deliver software in packages. If you need to reinstall it for issues like unresponsiveness and crashes on macOS Monterey, or if you want to remove it because it takes up too much space, follow this guide to learn how to completely uninstall it from your Mac.
What is Docker?
Docker is an open-source platform for developing, shipping, and running applications. Compared with virtual machines, Docker wins in terms of rapid development, efficient virtualization, small footprint, and low cost.
However, it also has limitations such as a steep learning curve, limited features, lack of security, etc.
Whatever reason you want to uninstall it from your Mac, read on this blog, and we will show you how to completely remove it from your Mac in two ways.
How to Uninstall Docker on Mac with Finder
Docker comes with a built-in uninstaller. However, this tool can only remove some of the Docker files. To completely uninstall Docker from Mac, you can use Finder.
Here's what you need to do:
1. Quit Docker
If Docker is still running in the background, you may not be able to delete it. It is recommended that you use Activity Monitor to quit all its processes first.
- Open Activity Monitor via Launchpad or Spotlight.
- Highlight all Docker processes, click the Stop button in the toolbar, and click Quit or Force Quit.
2. Uninstall Docker App
- Open Finder > Applications.
- Find the Docker icon and drag it to the Trash.
3. Remove Docker's Related Files
- Click the File menu in Finder and choose Go to Folder.
- Go over the files in the following paths and move them to the Trash.
~/Library/Saved Application State/com.electron.docker-frontend.savedState
4. Empty your Trash.
How to Uninstall Docker on Mac with BuhoCleaner
If you think it is time-consuming to remove Docker with BuhoCleaner, you can try BuhoCleaner, one of the best app uninstallers for Mac. Not only can you use it to uninstall Docker without leaving any traces, but also you can use it to delete the residual files of uninstalled apps with one click.
Here's how to use BuhoCleaner to uninstaller Docker:
- Download, install and launch BuhoCleaner.
- Click App Uninstaller in the BuhoCleaner sidebar and click the Scan button.
- When the scanning process is done, you can see all the apps installed on your Mac. Locate Dock, tick the box next to it, and click the Remove button. (If Docker is in use, you may be asked to quit it first.)
Now you have two ways to completely uninstall Docker on Mac. Which one do you like to try first?
By the way, BuhoCleaner is more than an app remover, it is also a cleaning tool that can clean and speed up your Mac in seconds. Don't forget to give it a try.
Clean and Speed up Your Mac Like a ProFree Download